Thursday, January 22, 2015

Snowflake Gloves

These days, my son is really taken with all things frost-related. So it came to me as no surprise when he wanted me to make him a pair of gloves with snowflakes on them. But it was taking a things to far, when he decided he wanted the color of gloves to be light blue. I tried to talk him into navy blue, but there was no dissuading him. Also, he handpicked the snowflake and all.
   Though not my first choice of color, the light blue has slowly grown on me and the finished gloves do look quite cute. And, of course, they make him very happy, so much so that he has worn them to school for two days straight (and brought back an intact pair).
By the time these pictures were taken, the gloves had seen two days of  wear.
 For the actual knitting, I took elements from a couple of patterns, with a bit of improvisation thrown in. The patterns are listed on the ravelry project page. I ran out of blue yarn with an inch of thumb left to be knit, and the extra few yards that I managed to get from the yarn shop, were not an exact match. So, I did a bit of striping, alternating both yarns at the left thumb, in an effort to blend them. All in all, this pair for a pleasure to knit, and I think I love knitting fair-isle more than the cables.

2 comments :

  1. They are BEAUTIFUL! Simply stunning. I completely agree with him, the light blue was ABSOLUTELY the way to go. I love them! He has great taste. :)

    I am about to embark on a hat this weekend which has some colorwork and I am looking forward to it immensely. I can understand your enchantment with the gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So satisfying when the recipient LOVES a knitted gift! And I also like the effect of light blue with the snowflakes :)

    ReplyDelete