Friday, March 28, 2014

Purple Toddler Coat


 We have had a lot of rain this month and so while I finished this coat a week ago, there has not been enough light to take proper photos till now. It may look benign or even nice, but it was one of the most tedious things I ever knit. Not fun at all. In addition, the honeycomb pattern can be physically challenging to the wrists.

The technical details..Initially, I picked this pattern to knit, but my yarn was a different weight, so I decided to do my own math. And go with a top-down, contiguous approach, which I later realized, was all wrong for this design because of the considerable gauge difference between stockinette st and honeycomb pattern. So when I tried to get proper sizing at the yoke, the sleeves caps grew quiet loose. At that point, I had already invested a great deal of time and energy (remember the honeycomb pattern being hard on the wrists) to rip back. So I decided to move on and get it done.
 Thankfully my toddler does not have an eye for such details yet. She is happy and content with the fact that her mom made her a new cardigan. And that is good enough for me. It is a bit large on her at the moment as it is intended to fit her next winter.

1 comment :

  1. It really is a beautiful coat, and I love the gathered effect of both the yoke and the cuffs! And the honeycomb is very pretty...too bad it's a tough one to knit. I made one pair of socks with a pretty stitch pattern that was definitely hard on the hands. I had to make the second sock because there was no way I was going to waste all the effort of the first one! But it's not a pattern I'll be using again.

    ReplyDelete